⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Seeking new CF standard names (waves and biogeochem)

From: Eric D'Asaro <dasaro>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 22:24:43 -0700

Meghan et. al:

I think we would be missing a great opportunity if we used only the
wave variables proposed below. We have good dynamical reasons to
think that waves are important in upper ocean dynamics and not just
for purposes of directing shipping or filling up mandated data bases.
I expect that in the future, ocean models will be coupled to wave
models (as is already done for tropical cyclone models) and that
historical wave data will be important in developing and verifying
these models. In another project we are struggling with trying to
reconstruct dynamically appropriate wave spectra from historical wave
data that is archived in such a way as to make proper reconstruction
very difficult. It would be a great waste if OceanSITES makes the
same mistake.

Variables should be added to the list that are sufficient to
1. Resconstruct the important features of the directional wave
spectrum, including energy and momentum flux and their depth profiles
2. Provide indications of the wave steepness and breaking probabilities.

Specific suggestions are perhaps better made by others (Baylor?, Jim?
Ramsey?).

>>> from others would help. It is good that Roy supports this