⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Seeking new CF standard names (waves andbiogeochem)

From: andrew walsh <awalsh>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 17:16:43 +1100

Hi Eric and CF metadata list and Ocean-Sites List,

Firstly sorry for any double postings.

Yes, I agree there are probably some more sea surface
wave data parameters that could be added to the CF standard names
list. I my case I had 13 different wave data parameters from MHL-NSW-Australia
that came off a Datawell model wave rider buoy plus wave direction from
directional
equipped buoys. The data parameters came off zero crossing anaysis and spectral
analysis
of wave data recordings. Attached is a extract of the wave data analysis methods
provided by Mark Kulmar of MHL, thanks Mark!

4 of these wave data parameters were already on the CF list and 9 needed new
names
as proposed. Of those new names 4 would by covered by a common concept
name 'sea_surface_wave_height' plus a cell method as detailed below.

Just for record I will list what those proposed parameters are so its
very clear about any new parameter names that the community (OceanSites)
wanted to add to the CF list.

They were:

used already (4 std CF names)

sea_surface_wave_significant_height
sea_surface_wave_period_at_variance_spectral_density_maximum
sea_surface_wave_from_direction
sea_surface_wave_zero_upcrossing_period

proposed (6)

sea_surface_wave_height (*NOTE a new 'common concept')
sea_surface_wave_mean_crest_period
sea_surface_wave_significant_wave_period
sea_surface_wave_period_at_second_largest_peak_of_variance_spectral_density
sea_surface_wave_variance_spectral_density_zeroth_frequency_moment
sea_surface_wave_root_mean_square_amplitude_from_variance_spectral_density

*NOTE:

The 'sea_surface_wave_height' when combined with a cell method of:

time: mean
time: maximum
time: root_mean_square (new proposed cell method)
time: mean_of_upper_decile (new proposed cell method)

will describe these 4 statistical wave height variables:

sea_surface_mean_wave_height
sea_surface_maximum_wave_height
sea_surface_root_mean_square_wave_height
sea_surface_wave_mean_of_highest_one_tenth_waves

respectively.

Thanks,

Andrew Walsh
Data Facilitator - Australian Ocean Data Network