⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Which variable name for a local measurement of liquid water content ?

From: Bruno PIGUET <bruno.piguet>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 18:56:13 +0200

Dear Jonathan,

> [...] I would think such a
> quantity should be called
> mass_concentration_of_cloud_liquid_water_in_air
> for consistency with existing names.

    I'm not the most experienced person in CF naming, but given the
definition of mass_concentration, and the usual name building rules, it
looks correct.
    Explicit is better than implicit, isn't it ?

   The only point we could discuss is the presence of the word "cloud".
Some probes are only sensitive to droplets, so they effectively measure
cloud_liquid_water, but some are sensitive to larger drops, so it might
lead to :

  mass_concentration_of_cloud_liquid_water_in_air
  mass_concentration_of_rain_liquid_water_in_air
  mass_concentration_of_total_liquid_water_in_air
(and what about drizzle ?)

  Looks cumbersome, doesn't it ?

   Since meta-data should give an information on the sensor's range, an
alternative would be to simply have two names :

   partial_mass_concentration_of_liquid_water_in_air
   total_mass_concentration_of_liquid_water_in_air

and rely on metadata to explicit partial ?

Bruno.

--
Bruno PIGUET <bruno.piguet at meteo.fr>
Meteo-France/CNRM