⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Interpretation of unspecified time zone (was: New standard names for satellite obs data (timeas ISO strings))

From: Lowry, Roy K <rkl>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 19:10:41 +0100

Hi again,

I must admit that your data is very different to the types of data I work with and I don't fully understand issues with composite images. Typical data for me are time series where a series of parameters, including position are logged every 30 seconds or so as a ship sails along. Years ago I had a dataset where a form of local time (ship's time) was used and they switched from daylight saving part way through the cruise. Result was that according to the data the ship was in two different places at a given time: not good. If a ship sails across the Atlantic, we don't want the time channel jumping around as time zone boundaries are crossed. We have a lot of this type of data assembled over the past 30 years - not just ships but also moored instruments - with elapsed time channels that are assumed to be UT and have put much effort in the past into the conversion of any incoming local times in both data and metadata to UT. To suddenly have this interpreted as local wouldn't improve the accuracy of anything!

Making the default CF time local might make the standard appear more robust for your data world but not for mine. Alignment with ISO standards is an essential requirement for the development of new conventions, but I don't feel retrospective adoption to be a prudent path.

Cheers, Roy.