⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Interpretation of unspecified time zone (was: New standard names for satellite obs data (timeas ISO strings))

From: Benno Blumenthal <benno>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 13:46:53 -0400

It is not really a problem to represent this in CF, just less than pretty.

time becomes a function of more than one dimension.

So, if by "local time" you mean that time is such that noon local time
has the sun directly overhead, i.e. local time before the railroads
established time zones, then we have
time(longitude,time)

i.e. two dimensions time, longitude, and a variable time which gives
UTC for each raster point. (Unless, of course, my physics is a bit
off).

On the other hand, if you mean local time as in local time zone, then

time(longitude,latitude,time)

because time zones have a big political component to them (which is
time dependent).

You can, of course, use two different names for time dimension and
time variable, would make things easier to understand.

Given that this analyis, while valid, is a bit unusual, seems
appropriate that CF can represent it, though not as simply as an image
which is uniform in UTC.

Benno