⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] New standard names for satellite obs data (timeas ISO strings)

From: John Graybeal <jbgraybeal>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 14:52:35 -0700

I can't imagine this change having any traction for the coordinate variable of time, as some of the answers show.

However, if one thinks about non-coordinate variables, standard_names of local_time and sidereal_time seem arguably useful.

Even allowing for Roy's perfectly valid arguments against the use of local time, at least if it's declared 'local_time' you can back out the appropriate information, if you have latitude and longitude, as Benno suggests. (Of course, that assumes the people in the ship are resetting the time zone at exactly the right moment ... )

Arguing against your request, since CF won't use ISO8601 in its coordinate time variable, the ISO local time interpretation does not come into play. That being the case, if you want anyone else in the CF community to be able to use your files without getting Really Irritated (see Roy's post), the nicest thing to do would be to create a separate local time variable that your scientist can use, and have the coordinate time be in UT. But I might guess your CF-reading applications won't support that view of the world (rotating the data around the local_time variable) gracefully.

In any case, it may be important going forward for us to be Really Clear about whether we're talking about the coordinate variable time, or an independent variable. Different rules can and will apply.

John