⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] time as ISO strings

From: Jeff deLaBeaujardiere <Jeff.deLaBeaujardiere>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 17:01:37 -0400

Hello-

I don't think I have any standing to vote on CF matters, but I just wanted to
say that I quite agree with Steve Hankin's viewpoint. I personally like
ISO8601 date/time strings for text display, but agree that under-the-hood
encodings such as CF "days since T" or Unix "seconds since the Epoch" are ideal.

When CF says "days since T" I feel that "T" should be expressed in ISO8601 (it
often is; I don't know if that's a requirement).

Regarding the precision or accuracy of time, perhaps you already know that
ISO8601 provides a means of expressing a time interval. This could be the
syntax used to express temporal uncertainty in metadata. The syntax is

        PyYmMdDThHmMsS

where:
        P stands for 'period';
        T separates date from time components (if any);
        Y, M, D, H, M, S are suffixes meaning Years, Months, &c
          (the second M(inutes) can only occur after T so it is
           distinguishable from M[onths]);
        y, m, d, h, m, are integers;
        s is integer or real;
        unneeded components can be omitted.

Example: P7DT6H30M means an interval of 7 days, 6 hours, 30 minutes.

-Jeff DLB

--
Jeff de La Beaujardi?re, PhD
U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
Jeff.deLaBeaujardiere at noaa.gov