⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] New standard names for satellite obs data

From: Nan Galbraith <ngalbraith>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 11:18:17 -0400

  Aleksandar's more generic proposal seems very workable, and it
may be useful (or extensible) for in situ data like current meters,
as well as for remote sensing data. This could prevent a proliferation
of new names down the road.

Is it implicit in the proposal that, if there is orientation information
only
at the instrument level, it's absolute, but if there's also platform
orientation,
they need to be considered together?

On 10/19/10 8:32 PM, Aleksandar Jelenak wrote:
> I think the "instrument_*" names are more applicable as they allow for
> either instrument-specific or spacecraft-generic geometries. I also
> think being able to distinguish between the two observation geometries
> is important and would like to have sets of standard names for both.
> So a data provider can clearly signal what is given, even for data
> from the same instrument.
> To summarize:
>
> 1) Use "instrument_zenith_angle", "instrument_azimuth_angle", and
> "instrument_scan_angle" for precise, instrument-specific observation
> geometry.
>
> 2) Use "platform_zenith_angle", "platform_azimuth_angle", and
> "platform_view_angle" for generic satellite (here generalized to
> "platform") observation geometry.
>
> 3) Mixing names from these two sets is allowed, whatever is more
> applicable for the zenith, azimuth, and scan/view angle data.
>
> Too complicated?

> the semantics of 'instrument' and 'platform' are becoming blurred in
> these discussions. From my perspective as one who has to map to CF
> datasets I would prefer it if the semantics of terms used in Standard
> Names had a universally understood meaning.

It seems to be impossible to come to an agreement between
any 2 users on what an instrument is, vs a platform, vs a
sensor; actually, sometimes I can't even agree with myself on
this.

The terms seem very clear in this proposal, though we wouldn't
necessarily want to write absolute definitions.

Nan

* Nan Galbraith                        (508) 289-2444 *
* Upper Ocean Processes Group            Mail Stop 29 *
* Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution                *
* Woods Hole, MA 02543                                *