⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] New standard names for satellite obs data

From: John Graybeal <jbgraybeal>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 11:59:54 -0700

Count me in the group of people who are sorry you lost your bid to include ISO-8601 time strings, John. I have voted on the ISO 8601 side myself (although as I recall, more in the spirit of representing multiple times in a single file).

I understand it raises complexity considerably to allow ISO-8601 formatted time in place of the regular format of the udunits time. So I can accept not going down that path. With John C's note that this would merely permit the addition of ISO-8601 variables, not the replacement of the standard coordinate, I fail to see how it would be a bad thing. It really is a common data representation and content, for which there is currently no acceptable standard name. Under these conditions, is there a specific bad practice being violated?

Here are the advantages of this option as I see them:

1) Readability in native form without conversion. Understandably not a high priority for a binary standard like netCDF, but for auxiliary variables (not the time coordinate) this is a non-trivial benefit.

2) User chooses appropriate resolution, which is unambiguous. My ISO 8601 timestamp can be YYYYMMDD, YYYYMMDDThhmmss, or many other variations of these, according to my own data set. If I have mixed data in one netCDF file, I can even represent different resolutions within the same file. I am not aware of any equivalent way to represent time precision in netCDF.

3) It can represent date, time, or a combination thereof. It might be argued this is a negative due to the lack of a priori certainty (which kind of value is represented here?). If this is a problem, it can be resolved via slightly finer standard_name selection (e.g., datetime_iso8601 vs timecode_iso8601)

4) It can include rich time zone information. Often this is relevant in time data (that is, timestamps) collected from sensors or computer systems.

5) It gives me a standard_name for storing a quite common encoding of data values (considering time as a data value, which it often is) without transformation. By allocating the max length, all smaller ISO 8601 strings can be accommodated. (Note: because "There is no limit on the number of decimal places for the decimal fraction", I'm not sure there is an a priori limit on all ISO 8601 strings -- this would have to be set in the variable definition for the file.)

ISO 8601 definitely a string format, mixing encoding format and concept name in the same standard_name. In CF, perhaps that itself is a bad practice. But it is such a commonly used standard for a data value, I wonder if the practice is worth allowing in this case? Or if not, then supporting the use of ISO 8601 via some other, automatically detectable alternative?

John