⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] New standard names for satellite obs data

From: Ben Hetland <ben.a.hetland>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 10:14:06 +0200

On 19.10.2010 16:27, Seth McGinnis wrote:
> What about using 'date' for string-valued times? That was my homebrew
> solution when I was considering a similar problem.

If I may butt in and contribute here, I usually prefer names like
'datetime' or 'timestamp' in cases like this, because 'date' is
potentially confusing. It may not be immediately obvious to a future
reader (or programmer) that a variable called 'date' supports points in
time down to for example seconds of accuracy.

> (Note that string data is a big pain to deal with in NetCDF-3, because
> you're limited to fixed-length character arrays. You need to use
> NetCDF-4 / HDF5 to get Strings as a data type.)

(It may not be such a practical issue with ISO 8601 strings, as a
reasonable max. length can be determined, I presume.)

--
Regards,
   -+-Ben-+-