⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] New standard names for satellite obs data

From: Lowry, Roy K <rkl>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 08:46:21 +0100

Dear All,

I'd just like to reinforce John's last point that the semantics of 'instrument' and 'platform' are becoming blurred in these discussions. From my perspective as one who has to map to CF datasets I would prefer it if the semantics of terms used in Standard Names had a universally understood meaning.

Another point that struck me from John's response is that when we do have multiple data streams sharing a single Standard Name, we need to ensure that there are objective criteria (i.e. not plaintext in the longname) that enable each stream to be uniquely identified. Otherwise, even 'common concepts' (which incidentally will be worked during a workshop in November) won't deliver interoperability.

Cheers, Roy.