⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Seeking new CF standard names (9) for sea surface wave parameters

From: Lowry, Roy K <rkl>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 16:33:50 +0100

Hello Jonathan,

The term 'statistics' has a slightly different meaning for wave data. Essentially, what wave instrumentation does is record vertical displacement of the sea surface at very high frequency for a period of say ten minutes. Spectral analysis techniques are then used to derive 'statistics', such as the period and direction of the most energetic waves, the average height of the highest 1/3 of the displacements (one definition of significant wave height), from the raw spectra. This process is repeated every hour or so.

Consequently, the usable data comprise an hourly set of 'statistics' at a given location. Describing the derived values as 'parameterisations' might give a clearer picture of what they represent. I therefore think that these belong in standard names rather than cell methods.

Cheers, Roy.