⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Seeking new CF standard names (9) for sea surface wave parameters

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 16:21:38 +0100

Dear Andrew

Thanks for your list of wave height names. Although the standard name table
already contains some wave quantities which are defined statistically (as
you know, such as significant wave height) this larger list makes me wonder
if describing the statistics in the standard name remains the right approach.
This is not generally what we do in CF. For example, time-mean, maximum and
minimum are not indicated in standard names, but by the cell_methods attribute.
Is the idea of these quantities that they describe the statistics of wave
height observed over a long period at a given location? If so, perhaps we
could distinguish them by cell_methods rather than standard_name.