⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Seeking new CF standard names (9) for sea surface wave parameters

From: andrew walsh <awalsh>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 15:00:13 +1000

Hi CF Standard Name Committee,

Recently we have received a substantial quantity of sea surface wave data
from Manly Hydraulics Laboratory (MHL) NSW, Australia measured by waverider
bouys. The Australian Ocean Data Network (AODN) and Integrated Marine
Observing
System (IMOS) are converting this data to netCDF format and plan to publish
the
netCDF data on the web accessible through THREDDS servers.

The data contained 13 different wave data parameters, 4 of which could be
found
on the CF standard names list but 9 which could not.

Therefore we request that the "standard name;description;units;MHL short
name" listed
below (semi-colon ; seperated) be added to the CF standard names list to
become standard names:

*Standard name;Description;Units(udunits);MHL short name
*sea_surface_wave_mean_wave_height;sea surface wave mean wave height;m;Hmean
*sea_surface_wave_root_mean_square_wave_height;Root mean square displacement
of waves on the sea surface;m;Hrms
*sea_surface_wave_mean_wave_height_of_highest_one_tenth;Average height of
the waves which comprise the highest one tenth of waves at the sea
surface;m;H10
*sea_surface_wave_maximum_wave_height;Maximum wave height in a recorded
burst of raw data at the sea surface;m;Hmax
*sea_surface_wave_mean_crest_period;mean crest period of waves at the sea
surface taken from measurements of period betwwen successive crests;s;Tc
*sea_surface_wave_significant_wave_period;Average zero crossing period of
the highest one third of waves at the sea surface;s;Tsig
*sea_surface_wave_root_mean_square_amplitude;Root mean square amplitude from
wave spectral analysis (the square root of the zeroth spectral moment M0).
Not to be confused with the
sea_surface_wave_root_mean_square_wave_height;m;Yrms
*sea_surface_wave_period_at_second_peak_of_the_spectrum;Wave Period at the
second largest peak of the sea surface wave energy spectrum;s;TP2
*sea_surface_wave_zeroth_spectral_moment;Zeroth spectral moment (M0) of the
sea surface wave energy spectrum;To be confirmed;M0

For your reference a full explanation of each of the above data parameters
may be found at: http://www.mhl.nsw.gov.au/www/wave_glossary.htmlx

Please note that the units for M0 are yet to be confirmed, I will let you
know once this occurs.

I am looking forward to your soonest reply on this matter. Getting these
names
added to the CF list will advance our shared goals of interoperability and
improve the efficiency of user data discovery via the Internet.

Andrew Walsh
Data Facilitator - AODN