⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CMIP5 cryosphere standard names

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 11:03:02 +0100

Dear Alison

> Therefore, the following names are
> now accepted for inclusion in the standard name table:

Unfortunately I had not made time to think about these - I'm still dealing with
a backlog that accumulated during July! I'm sorry, I do have some comments, if
you can still consider them:

> water_flux_into_sea_ice_from_rain; kg m-2 s-1
> water_flux_into_sea_ice_from_snow; kg m-2 s-1
I wouldn't be sure what that means - is it a flux of water that percolates into
the sea ice?

> tendency_of_sea_ice_amount_due_to_lateral_growth_of_ice_sheet; kg m-2 s-1
"ice_sheet" is not a good phrase to use, as it usually refers to land ice, not
sea ice. Perhaps "ice_floes" would be better.

> sea_ice_thermal_energy; J
Is it really J, not J m-2? If J m-2, the phrase heat_content would be better,
as it would be consistent with the existing name
integral_of_sea_water_potential_temperature_wrt_depth_expressed_as_heat_content
(J m-2). If really J, I wonder if we can think of a phrase related to
heat_content. I am assuming that this quantity relates to temperature, but
maybe it relates to latent heat content? It would be good to be clear about
this in the name.

> shear_of_sea_ice_velocity; s-1
A shear could take place in various directions. If "velocity" is specified,
the component should be specified too. Perhaps it means shear_of_sea_ice_speed,
like the existing wind_speed_shear (s-1)?