⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF-1.4 - linear trends with time

From: Paul.Durack at csiro.au <Paul.Durack>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2010 14:44:49 +1000

Hi there folks..

I'm trying to generate a file containing linear trends over specified periods (nominally 1960-2008) which are scaled to represent a linear trend for 50 years.

A first crack at this file, and a corresponding header dump can be found at:
http://www.marine.csiro.au/~dur041/100709_LinearChange.txt

I'm a little confused how best to represent this, as I'm uncertain how to correctly create a simple climatology (mean values over a specified period) and the associated time dimension/attribute, let alone their perturbation fields, honouring the CF-1.4 conventions.

I have generated such a file and run this against the CF-1.4 compliance checker, and aside from some general errors regarding syntax of standard_name attributes, have hit some troubles with units etc.. In particular, the changes represent units: degree_C/50Yrs, however this is not a valid unit in CF-1.4:
------------------
Checking variable: thetao_change
------------------
ERROR (3.3): Invalid syntax for 'standard_name' attribute: 'linear_potential_temperature_change_1960-2008'
ERROR (3.1): Invalid units: degree_C/50Yrs

The standard_name attributes indicate a simple syntax issue (I'm using a "-" value to represent the time period over which the linear trend is calculated):
------------------
Checking variable: soi
------------------
ERROR (3.3): Invalid syntax for 'standard_name' attribute: 'southern_oscillation_index_regression_1960-2008'

I wonder if there is another variable attribute that I should set which expresses the years over which the regression was undertaken, and remove the "1960-2008" from the standard_name.

I'd appreciate some pointers how to best create this file, best conforming with CF-1.4.

Cheers,

Paul

*************************************
Paul J. Durack