⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] standard_name for coordinate variable corresponding to complex parts (real and imaginary)

From: Bryan Lawrence <bryan.lawrence>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 21:31:27 +0100

Hi Jonathan

I wasn't thinking about amp and phase, primarily because I had a specific
use case in mind (as you appear to do, so that's both of us :-)

I concede that you can make an argument that in *some* cases you might
only use one component from amp and phase, but I can't think of any
mainstream applications where you would only use one of the real and
imaginary components, and I can think of plenty of use cases for
decomponsing that way (I am sure someone could think of an excption usin
one of real or imaginary, but it's not going to dominate over the other
use cases).

So, I don't think we should shunt the solution for this into one use
case of FTs, which I concede could be handled as you describe where it
the only one. But, I still wouldn't like it. It feels wrong (but then
I'd rather like CF to evolve to supporting vector concepts better
anyway, and I lost that argument years ago).

Bryan

p.s. most of the spectral data I wrote back in the days when I wrote
data of my own, used real+imaginary, even when the analysis code wanted
amplitude and/or phase. Nag algorithms for example (used to?) do that
... so it's the natural storage route.