⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] proposed changes to various standard names

From: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk <alison.pamment>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 12:19:33 +0100

Dear Jonathan,

Many of the changes proposed in this thread have now been agreed. I
will send a separate post regarding the biogeochemistry names. The
other two issues that remain open are summarized below.

7) surface snow

> > In the case of snow_temperature -> temperature_in_snow did you mean
> that
> > it should be changed to temperature_in_surface_snow?
>
> I didn't, but I agree that would be more consistent, if acceptable and
> if
> it makes sense to you.

I think this name only makes sense in the context of lying snow. The
following alias will be created at the next update of the standard name
table:
snow_temperature -> temperature_in_surface_snow

> > I am wondering about the interpretation of the existing names
> > snow_density and snow_grain_size. I suppose these could equally
> apply
> > to snow as a species or as a medium, but I wonder if they are
> primarily
> > intended as surface snow quantities? Currently neither has any
> > definition and I think we should try to give some explanation as to
> how
> > these names are meant to be used.
>
> I am pretty sure they are currently used for lying snow.

OK, thank you. To maintain consistency with the other surface snow
quantities I propose that we create two more aliases and add at least
brief definitions:
snow_density -> density_of_surface_snow
snow_grain_size -> grain_size_of_surface_snow

8) water vapour partial pressure

> Jonathan wrote:
>
> > water_vapor_pressure -> water_vapor_partial_pressure
> >
> > This quantity is really a partial pressure, and making this change
is
> consistent with the use of "partial_pressure"
> > for "carbon_dioxide" in other names.
>
> I agree that we should call this a partial pressure. I notice that
> this
> and a number of other water vapor names are missing any reference to a
> medium and although it's quite obvious that the medium should be air,
> think it should be added to the names for consistency. Thus I suggest
> creating the following aliases:
>
> eastward_water_vapor_flux -> eastward_water_vapor_flux_in_air
> northward_water_vapor_flux -> northward_water_vapor_flux_in_air
> water_vapor_pressure -> water_vapor_partial_pressure_in_air
> water_vapor_saturation_deficit ->
water_vapor_saturation_deficit_in_air

These aliases are now agreed and will be created at the next update of
the table.

Best wishes,
Alison

------
Alison Pamment Tel: +44 1235 778065
NCAS/British Atmospheric Data Centre Fax: +44 1235 446314
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory Email: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk
Chilton, Didcot, OX11 0QX, U.K.

--
Scanned by iCritical.