⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] bounds/precision for time axis

From: Steve Hankin <Steven.C.Hankin>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2010 08:25:53 -0700

[Ken, Craig -- a quick look please?]

As a general rule level 3 satellite fields are "representative" -- or
perhaps "accumulated" would be an alternative term. They are the
accumulated result of a number of satellite passes that take place at
distinct times, and then perhaps some interpolations, smoothing or
other post-processing applied. Arguably more detailed CF conventions
are appropriate -- beyond simply "bounds" and cell_methods on the time
axis -- in order to capture the timing of the swaths that go into the
final field.

The GHRSST project comes to mind as a group that would have dealt with
this question. I see that the OSTIA home page says the GHRSST data
standards are used. So I've cc'ed a couple of people from the GHRSST
project to see if they'd care to comment on treatments of this question.

    - Steve