⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] bounds/precision for time axis

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 16:10:07 +0100

Dear Jon

CF doesn't provide a way to do this except by giving bounds. I think that's
the right thing to do, because the length of the interval alone doesn't say
when it starts and stops, which applications may need to know.

The cell_methods indicates how the value represents the variation within the
interval. For an intensive quantity, "point" is the default i.e. instantaneous
in time. To indicate a mean, cell_methods of "mean" should be specified. You
are saying it is "representative" in some vaguer way than a mean, and it is not
instantaneous. That sounds like a different cell_methods. Perhaps it would be
a good idea to allow "cell" to be specified in cell_methods for intensive
quantities, to indicate a "representative" value in this vague sense. ("cell"
is the default cell_methods for an extensive quantity, which relates to the
entire cell and depends on its size.) I think this vagueness should in general
be discouraged; it would be better to be more precise and specify "mean",
"median" etc., but if you can't be precise it'd be nice to be able to say so.

What do you think? That would require a small change to the convention.

Cheers

Jonathan