⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] bounds/precision for time axis

From: Kenneth S. Casey <Kenneth.Casey>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2010 12:33:03 -0400

Steve et al.,

In GHRSST, Level 4 (L4) products like the OSTIA one mentioned by Jon are often the result of an analysis procedure which accounts to some extent for diurnal variations in the various input sources. The analysis procedure accounts for those diurnal variations and spits out an SST not so much at a specific time of the day, and definitely not a "mean" time, but rather a value at a particular point in the diurnal cycle... typically just before dawn when the actual surface SST is more like what is known as the foundation SST (the SST just below all the diurnal variations). In the case of OSTIA, I think 12:00 Z was just chosen as a convenience.... a better approximation might be 06:00 or something like that. But generally speaking, I think L4 products more or less define an analysis time and the SST given is supposed to be the SST at that time.

I think the issue with GHRSST and times is more likely to arise in Level 3 (products), which can contain averages of overlapping swaths, or averages (or some other blending procedure) of data from different satellites. In these cases, depending on the procedure by which overlapping observations are combined and put into some form of grid, it can be difficult or impossible to give a precise time. If you bin two observations from overlapping orbits, they are separated in time by about 100 minutes (for polar orbiters). Often an average is used... but what is an "average" time? In these cases, the use of bounds you mentioned could be used, but the start and stop time might not be the entire day but the start and stop times of the orbits that went into the L3 product.

Ken