⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] water level with/without datum

From: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk <alison.pamment>
Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 11:06:06 +0100

Dear All,

I have reviewed this thread which caused considerable discussion during February/March. There seems to be general agreement on introducing the name
water_surface_height_above_reference_datum
for the height of the surface of any water body, be it sea, lake or river above an arbitrary reference datum.

During the discussion it was not established how the reference datum itself would be specified. Jonathan suggested that for an arbitrary but fixed reference datum we might add another standard name along the lines of:
water_surface_reference_datum_altitude
while for a temporally and spatially varying reference datum, e.g. geoid, reference ellipsoid, the datum should form part of the name as is the current practice for sea_surface_height names. I think this sounds like a reasonable approach, but no one else has commented on this idea.

It was agreed to postpone the discussion of a general term to describe 'sea/lake/river' until such time as a use case emerges as part of a firm standard name proposal. However, for future reference, I note that the three ideas arising from this discussion (and which have found some support) are:
1) a compound term such as sea_lake_river or sea_or_lake_or_river (Jonathan);
2) water_body (Roy, Seth);
3) defining the unqualified term 'water' to mean water in a water body (Nan).

I would like to draw this thread to a conclusion and it seems that the most pressing question is how to describe the datum. If there are no further comments within fourteen days, the name
water_surface_height_above_reference_datum will be accepted for inclusion in the standard name table along with Jonathan's suggestion of
water_surface_reference_datum_altitude.

Best wishes,
Alison

------
Alison Pamment Tel: +44 1235 778065
NCAS/British Atmospheric Data Centre Fax: +44 1235 446314
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory Email: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk
Chilton, Didcot, OX11 0QX, U.K.