⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] water level with/without datum

From: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk <alison.pamment>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 12:50:41 +0100

Dear All,

There have been no further comments in this thread since my last
posting. Therefore the names
> water_surface_height_above_reference_datum
> water_surface_reference_datum_altitude
are accepted for inclusion in the standard name table.

Best wishes,
Alison

> Dear All,
>
> I have reviewed this thread which caused considerable discussion
during
> February/March. There seems to be general agreement on introducing
the
> name
> water_surface_height_above_reference_datum
> for the height of the surface of any water body, be it sea, lake or
> river above an arbitrary reference datum.
>
> During the discussion it was not established how the reference datum
> itself would be specified. Jonathan suggested that for an arbitrary
> but fixed reference datum we might add another standard name along the
> lines of:
> water_surface_reference_datum_altitude
> while for a temporally and spatially varying reference datum, e.g.
> geoid, reference ellipsoid, the datum should form part of the name as
> is the current practice for sea_surface_height names. I think this
> sounds like a reasonable approach, but no one else has commented on
> this idea.
>
> It was agreed to postpone the discussion of a general term to describe
> 'sea/lake/river' until such time as a use case emerges as part of a
> firm standard name proposal. However, for future reference, I note
> that the three ideas arising from this discussion (and which have
found
> some support) are:
> 1) a compound term such as sea_lake_river or sea_or_lake_or_river
> (Jonathan);
> 2) water_body (Roy, Seth);
> 3) defining the unqualified term 'water' to mean water in a water body
> (Nan).
>
> I would like to draw this thread to a conclusion and it seems that the
> most pressing question is how to describe the datum. If there are no
> further comments within fourteen days, the name
> water_surface_height_above_reference_datum will be accepted for
> inclusion in the standard name table along with Jonathan's suggestion
> of
> water_surface_reference_datum_altitude.
>
> Best wishes,
> Alison

------
Alison Pamment Tel: +44 1235 778065
NCAS/British Atmospheric Data Centre Fax: +44 1235 446314
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory Email:
alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk
Chilton, Didcot, OX11 0QX, U.K.

--