⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CMIP5 ocean biogeochemistry standard names

From: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk <alison.pamment>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 13:10:47 +0100

Dear John,

I was looking again at the biogeochemistry names in preparation for
adding them to the CMIP5 output document as accepted standard names. I
am concerned that we may have given the wrong names to some of the
vertically integrated rates of change in the top 100m of the ocean.
Please can you advise on the definitions. Currently the names are
listed as:

tendency_of_ocean_mole_content_of_dissolved_inorganic_carbon
tendency_of_ocean_mole_content_of_dissolved_inorganic_nitrogen
tendency_of_ocean_mole_content_of_dissolved_inorganic_phosphorus
tendency_of_ocean_mole_content_of_dissolved_inorganic_iron
tendency_of_ocean_mole_content_of_dissolved_inorganic_silicon
integral_wrt_depth_of_tendency_of_sea_water_alkalinity_expressed_as_mole
_equivalent
tendency_of_ocean_mole_content_of_dissolved_inorganic_carbon_due_to_biol
ogical_processes
tendency_of_ocean_mole_content_of_dissolved_inorganic_nitrogen_due_to_bi
ological_processes
tendency_of_ocean_mole_content_of_dissolved_inorganic_phosphorus_due_to_
biological_processes
tendency_of_ocean_mole_content_of_dissolved_inorganic_iron_due_to_biolog
ical_processes
tendency_of_ocean_mole_content_of_dissolved_inorganic_silicon_due_to_bio
logical_processes
integral_wrt_depth_of_tendency_of_sea_water_alkalinity_expressed_as_mole
_equivalent_due_to_biological_processes

The first two names are defined as follows:
tendency_of_ocean_mole_content_of_dissolved_inorganic_nitrogen
'Net time rate of change of dissolved inorganic carbon in upper 100m'
and
tendency_of_ocean_mole_content_of_dissolved_inorganic_phosphorus
'Net time rate of change of nitrogen nutrients (e.g. NO3+NH4) in upper
100m'.
If these quantities should be interpreted as the time rate of change of
the vertically integrated mole_concentration, then these names are
correct.

However, the remainder of the names have definitions along the lines of:
tendency_of_ocean_mole_content_of_dissolved_inorganic_phosphorus
'Vertical integral of net time rate of change of phosphate in upper
100m',
which is clearly the vertical integral of the rate of change and not the
rate of change of the vertical integral. I don't think those two things
are identical, are they?

If the order of the calculation is important then I think we should
adopt the pattern used in the alkalinity names for all these names,
i.e.,
integral_wrt_depth_of_tendency_of_mole_concentration_of_dissolved_inorga
nic_phosphorus_in_sea_water, etc. Do you agree?

Best wishes,
Alison

------
Alison Pamment Tel: +44 1235 778065
NCAS/British Atmospheric Data Centre Fax: +44 1235 446314
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory Email: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk
Chilton, Didcot, OX11 0QX, U.K.

--
Scanned by iCritical.