⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] New standard names for emission sectors

From: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk <alison.pamment>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 13:54:47 -0000

Dear Angelika,

Thank you for your proposals for standard names to describe emissions from different sectors of activity. The use and definition of the term "emission" is indeed well established in standard names and I agree that extending the syntax to "due_to_emission_from_sector" is sensible. I agree with Jonathan that the wording of the names is fine and the units of kg m-2 s-1 are also correct for "tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content" names.

The names will need accompanying definitions so that they can be added to the standard name table. I have spent a short time looking through your references but I didn't see clear definitions of the various sectors or the relationships between them. Looking at the names I suspect that the sectors should be regarded as separate sources but, for example, is "commercial combustion" separate to "industrial combustion" or is it a superset? Also, is there a list of specific chemical species that would usually be used in models to represent "solvents"? If you could provide some brief descriptions of each sector or point me to an appropriate reference that would be very helpful.

Best wishes,
Alison

------
Alison Pamment Tel: +44 1235 778065
NCAS/British Atmospheric Data Centre Fax: +44 1235 446314
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory Email: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk
Chilton, Didcot, OX11 0QX, U.K.