⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Dealing with large numbers of flag valuesinnetcdf cf

From: John Graybeal <jbgraybeal>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 09:21:13 -0700

This is a matter of philosophy and practice, I imagine.

One of the reasons I recommend semantic URIs is that the URI
represents a clue, if by some chance the web is not available or the
information is not served at that URI any more. I think some semantic
description should be included in the netCDF file -- on this I agree
with Ed.

But I agree with Roy on the bigger picture -- we are building a system
that is intended to be long-lived, and in fact much of the web is
moving to systems that assume URLs are long-lived. There are a lot of
problems that will result if vocabulary servers like Roy's go away.

And the fact is, you just can't store all the metadata in the file --
there is an expanding web of information associated with every
observation, and much of that metadata can evolve as our knowledge
evolves about the relevant instruments, best calibration values,
algorithms, and so on. So we need to allow the ability to reference
additional metadata, not just bring it all into every netCDF file (and
then update all the files when additional metadata is obtained).

John