⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Dealing with large numbers of flag values innetcdf cf

From: John Caron <caron>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 07:16:44 -0600

Lowry, Roy K wrote:
> Hello Martin,
>
> There is another possible solution to your problem, which we are looking at for dealing with a data source flag to be used with the GEBCO bathymetric grid. This is to put a URI base into an attribute that when concatenated with a flag values gives the flag definition from a vocabulary server. For example, having a flag_definition attribute like:
>
> URI_base='http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/GGS1/current/'
>
> For a flag value of 1, the resulting URL is:
>
> http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/GGS1/current/1
>
> which is a live NERC Vocabulary Server URL returning the flag definition attributes in a SKOS document.
>
> I appreciate that this moves away from fully self-contained CF files and that a standardised syntax for the URI base encoding is required, but I think this provides a scalable solution to the flag definition problem.
>
> Cheers, Roy.

Hi Roy:

If I was an application trying to use this feature, i would like to be able to download all the possible values for this flag enumeration with one call to your server. Is that possible?

I guess the other concern with external tables is ensuring that the writer and the reader really have the same table. Is there some way to ensure that?