⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Dealing with large numbers of flag valuesinnetcdf cf

From: Ed Hartnett <ed>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 09:37:15 -0600

<martin.juckes at stfc.ac.uk> writes:

> Hello Roy,
>
> That is an interesting idea. There are definitions of these areas on a WWF site, of the form
> http://www.worldwildlife.org/wildworld/profiles/terrestrial/nt/nt0908_full.html where "nt0908" is a tag associated with a particular flag value.
>
> My first thought was:
> URI=" http://www.worldwildlife.org/wildworld/profiles/terrestrial/[flag_meaning]_full.html" with "nt/nt0908" in the flag_meanings attribute, but it appears that the cf-checker does not like having a "/" in flag_meanings. This means we need to either have a more complex syntax, or set up our definition URLs along the lines you suggest.
>
> A more complex syntax might be:
> URI=" http://www.worldwildlife.org/wildworld/profiles/terrestrial/[flag_meaning][0:2]/[flag_meaning]_full.html"
>
> Since the above returns html rather than skos/xml it should perhaps be complemented by a uri_content_type attribute, with value 'html/text'.
>
> I'll think about the option of setting up something like your vocab server -- or possibly putting some more definitions in the ndg vocab server?
>
> Regards,
> Martin

Howdy all!

I really don't think you should store metadata for a file on the
web. Just put it in the file.

Most scientific data are around a lot longer than most URLs. What
happens in 15 years when someone wants to understand this data, and the
URL has vanished? It the metadata were stored in the file, then it would
be there for that programmer of the future. (And that programmer may
well be you! <insert scary Halloween laughter here>)

If the metadata seem too large to put in the file, consider storing them
in variables, and then use netCDF-4 with compression turned on for those
variables.

Thanks,

Ed

Ed Hartnett  -- ed at unidata.ucar.edu