⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Sea water transparency and reflectance.

From: olivier lauret <olauret>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 14:18:12 +0200

Dear CF community,

In the frame of MyOcean project together with Ocean Colour partners we would like to submit you some new standard name proposals:

*surface_reflectance (1)

?CF already propose 'surface_albedo', so from this basis we propose to extend it with a less specific quantity.

*depth_of_disappearance_from_surface (m)

?A quantity that is usually known as Secchi disk depth.

I must admit I am not very satisfied with this proposal because the first thing that come into our mind is 'depth of disappearance of what?'. I do not know how to translate Secchi depth in a "CF way", so I'm very open to any suggestions. For non experts in ocean turbidity measurement hereafter two links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secchi_disk (the Wikipedia page - what would we become without Wikipedia..) and http://www.eoearth.org/article/Secchi_disk.

Thank you for your help and comments.

Best regards,

Olivier.

Olivier LAURET

CLS - Space Oceanography Division

8-10 rue Hermes, 31520 Ramonville St.Agne

France

Tel. (+33) (0) 561 39 48 51

Fax:(+33) (0) 561 39 47 80