⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Sea water velocity

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2009 08:40:16 +0100

Dear Nan

> Is there any reason the standard name for Stephane's flag value can't
> be "sea_water_speed status_flag" ?

I think it could be, yes. As you say, the standard_name of the ancillary
variable still would not match that of the data variable, but this would be
probably less confusing than pointing to eastward from northward or vice-versa.
Still, the convention is not really adequate for sharing ancillary variables
in this way. To be properly self-describing, the ancillary variable ought to
identify all the quantities it applies to, I suppose.

We already have standard_error as a modifier. Is that would you mean?