⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] standard name for position

From: Bryan Lawrence <bryan.lawrence>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 09:49:14 +0100

Hi Alejandro

> This is going to be used as the horizontal
> dimension for a stream of atmospheric vertical profiles (e.g.
> temperature(position,height)). It will be an index running from 1 to N
> (number of profiles). Then, the variables [latitude(position),longitude
> (position),time(position)] will give the geographical position and time
> of the profiles. Is there any CF standard name suitable for this?

this is really a special case of the observational data issue.

we have this with profiles from flights, ships etc, intersections between observations on the ground and swaths overhead etc ...

So, in this case, is there an intrinsic meaning (as Jonathan is implicitly asking)? What
does this position actually mean?

Bryan