⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Standard name definitions ... are these formal or flexible

From: Lowry, Roy K <rkl>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 10:18:23 +0100

Hi Bryan,

We have the technology and some of the content. I have been maintaining a mapping between the Parameter Discovery Vocabulary (PDV) used by SeaDataNet and Standard Names to allow us to automatically populate SeaDataNet metadata documents from CF data files. (I do have to confess that doing this for the version 12 new term explosion is currently in my 'pending' tray).

The PDV is populated with grouping terms like 'Metal concentrations in the atmosphere', which is represented by the URL http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P021/current/MTAT The resulting document gives matches to about 25 Standard Names (the URLs with 'P071' in them) as well as GCMD (P041), SeaDataNet parameter groups (P031) ISO topic categories (P051) and BODC usage vocabulary terms (P011).

The grouping terms and mappings have been done by me and are therefore limited by my knowledge of the atmospheric science domain. Suggestions for additional grouping terms (together with the Standard Names that should be included) or suggestions for modifications to what I've already done from the CF community would be welcomed.

Cheers, Roy.