⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Standard name definitions ... are these formalor flexible

From: Stephen Emsley <SEmsley>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 10:06:08 +0100

Hi Roy

>> Incidentally, I'm wondering where Steve got his definition of 'concentration_of_suspended_matter_in_sea_water'

Me too! I took it from a document that I started writing before version 12 of the standard name table. I must have accidentally stumbled across an old version of the standard name table. I notice that the description for chlorophyll concentration has also changed and does not mention how it is derived. However, having just examined half of the HTML versions of the table and two of the XML listings I cannot find the descriptions I cited for either chlorophyll or suspended matter.

Which is worrying ... not least for my sanity!!! Because I clearly cut 'n' pasted from somewhere!

I did notice a confusing directory listing at http://cf-pcmdi.llnl.gov/documents/cf-standard-names/standard-name-table/current/standard-name-table in which the topmost link is to version 11 and the 'current link' as well the version '12' link are at the bottom of the listing which one has to scroll down to see. I suspect that new users who do not know the current version number will assume that it is 11, not 12, with this listing.

Dr Steve Emsley Tel: : +44 (0)7912 515 418
ARGANS Ltd SEmsley at argans.co.uk