⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Update to the standard name table 16 June 2009

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 18:47:07 +0100

Dear Alison

Thanks very much for that comprehensive update, embodying a very large amount
of work.

Regarding transformations, I am not convinced actually they should appear in
the general syntax of standard names. That is because they aren't necessarily
entirely prefixed phrases. For instance, product_of_X_and_Y could combine two
standard names, X and Y. We should allow that generality, I think. Therefore I
would say it is logical to leave transformations as a separate, and perhaps
final, section. Most of the guidelines are for construction of standard names
from bits. That is like making sentences from words. The transformations are
rules for producing new standard names from other standard names. That is like
joining sentences with conjunctions or by using subordinate clauses. (I don't
know if the linguistic analogies help - maybe they do!)