⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Proposal for additionalCFbiogeochemistry attributes

From: Pamment, JA <alison.pamment>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 12:29:46 +0100

Dear Olivier and Christiane,

Sorry for not commenting on this earlier. Christiane is correct that the 'expressed_as' needs to go with the species. This is something that was discussed and agreed recently in one of the atmospheric chemistry threads. Aliases will be created for the existing names to change the order of the terms, so for example, mole_concentration_of_mesozooplankton_in_sea_water_expressed_as_nitrogen will become mole_concentration_of_mesozooplankton_expressed_as_nitrogen_in_sea_water. The names proposed for biogeochemistry should follow the same order. With this change, I think all the names proposed in this thread can now be accepted:

mass_concentration_of_inorganic_nitrogen_in_sea_water; kg m-3
mass_concentration_of_phosphate_in_sea_water; kg m-3
mole_concentration_of_phosphate_in_sea_water; mol m-3
mass_concentration_of_silicate_in_sea_water; kg m-3
mass_concentration_of_organic_detritus_expressed_as_nitrogen_in_sea_water; kg m-3
mass_concentration_of_organic_detritus_expressed_as_carbon_in_sea_water; kg m-3
mass_concentration_of_diatoms_expressed_as_nitrogen_in_sea_water; kg m-3
mass_concentration_of_diatoms_expressed_as_carbon_in_sea_water; kg m-3
mass_concentration_of_flagellates_expressed_as_nitrogen_in_sea_water; kg m-3
mass_concentration_of_flagellates_expressed_as_carbon_in_sea_water; kg m-3
volume_fraction_of_oxygen_in_sea_water; l
mole_ratio_of_nitrate_to_phosphate_in_sea_water; 1
mass_concentration_of_phytoplankton_expressed_as_chlorophyll_in_sea_water; kg m-3

I had to look up what a 'flagellate' is in marine biology - will the following description be suitable for use in the standard name definitions, or can anyone suggest a (reasonably concise) alternative:
"Flagellates" are a class of single celled organisms that use a flagellum (whip-like structure) for feeding and locomotion. Some flagellates can photosynthesize and others feed on bacteria, with a few flagellates capable of both."

Is there a particular list of chemical species included in 'inorganic nitrogen' or is this something that will vary from one model to another?

If we can sort out these definitions then the names can be included in the next update to the standard name table.

Best wishes,
Alison

------
Alison Pamment Tel: +44 1235 778065
NCAS/British Atmospheric Data Centre Fax: +44 1235 446314
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory Email: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk
Chilton, Didcot, OX11 0QX, U.K.