⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new standard name request for pH

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 08:12:55 +0100

Dear John

> I'll mention as a nit that they don't quite capture the
> essence. While the fundamental construct is the basic chemistry of
> the system, each of these seems to be referring to only this
> particular entity (sea_water_pH) as having the characteristic.

I'm sorry, I don't understand that remark.

> I guess I'll just
> ask how much you think the extra words add value.

All existing standard names are phrases with sufficient English glue so you
can work out how to parse them. For me
> sea_water_pH_total_scale
is not ideal because it doesn't indicate what "total scale" refers to. Perhaps
your remark above indicates I still haven't understood what it *does* refer to,
unfortunately.

What about
total_scale_pH_of_sea_water
Would that be better? That indicate that "total scale pH" is a quantity
which is being measured in sea water. The "total scale" refers to "pH".

Cheers

Jonathan