⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new standard name request for pH

From: John Graybeal <graybeal>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 21:54:58 -0700

Jonathan,

I could live with any of these (though my science experts are less
keen), but I'll mention as a nit that they don't quite capture the
essence. While the fundamental construct is the basic chemistry of
the system, each of these seems to be referring to only this
particular entity (sea_water_pH) as having the characteristic. But
since translations to the other systems are possible, I suppose I am
way down in the weeds on that point.

Other than that, I just wish they weren't so wordy. I guess I'll just
ask how much you think the extra words add value.

So in order, my preferences would be

sea_water_pH_total_scale
sea_water_pH_on_total_scale
sea_water_pH_defined_by_total_scale
sea_water_pH_reported_on_total_scale
sea_water_pH_according_to_total_scale

If you can see your way clear to one of the first 2, great; otherwise
I'll settle for the first one you and the list find agreeable.

John