⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new standard name request for pH

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 09:46:56 +0100

Dear John

I have consulted a colleague of mine who has the same opinion as your pH
colleague, that there isn't a simple way to describe the scales and therefore
no clear alternative to using the expert terminology. I also learned, usefully,
that models would report on a particular pH scale, even if they do not simulate
all the species. Therefore I agree with your approach. Thanks for tolerating
the discussion, which has been useful to understand a bit better what we are
talking about.

As I said, I'd be happier with some explanatory linking phrase e.g.

sea_water_pH_defined_by_total_scale
sea_water_pH_according_to_total_scale
sea_water_pH_reported_on_total_scale

What do you think?