⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new standard name request for pH

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 10:28:32 +0100

Dear John

Thanks for the helpful information and all your time, and your colleagues',
spent on this.

If the conclusion is "There are several ways of measuring pH and this is the
best one for the circumstances", as you say, it sounds to me that pH is the
geophysical quantity, and "total scale" is a measurement technique. That
means I tend to the solution of not including it in the standard name, and
deciding on another attribute to record it in. We do not define distinct
standard names for different ways of measuring the same quantity. That's a
point that came up, for instance, regarding cloud area fraction from different
satellites. But it is still important to record the information, since the
results may be systematically different. Maybe we need a new CF attribute
for this kind of purpose. What do you think, Roy, Nan and others?