⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] standard names for variables?in?'raw?engineering' units

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 21:57:35 +0000

Dear Roy

That's a good example. I don't really know what it is, of course, but it sounds
like it could have a standard name of ctd_fluorometer_voltage and units of V.
It seems clear to me to call a spade a spade, rather than to call a spade
a raw_garden_implement :-).

It's interesting how this discussion is different from the one about isccp and
calipso cloud area fraction. In that discussion, I thought that the standard
name should be cloud_area_fraction. ISCCP and Calipso are further information
about how the quantity is measured, but the quantity itself is a geophysical
one, defined independently of the measurement technique. Here, the quantity
being named relates specifically to a means of measurement, not to the final
product.

What are example of non-udunits? V is a udunit, all right. Perhaps a non-udunit
is just a count of something? Does that need units? It could simply be
regarded as dimensionless.