⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] standard names for variables?in?'raw?engineering' units

From: Roy Lowry <rkl>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 22:12:49 +0000

Hello Jonathan,

I'd go for fluorometer_voltage without the 'ctd' as building in deployment platform information is best avoided, but otherwise I'm with you.

In my experience raw data units may be the same as processed data units (after application of a nominal calibration by the instrument), a voltage, a current or a 'count' (the output from an analogue to digital converter). Dimensionless counts works for me and I think the others are all covered by udunits. Or is there something else out there I've not met?

Cheers, Roy.

>>> Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory at reading.ac.uk> 03/12/09 9:57 PM >>>
Dear Roy

That's a good example. I don't really know what it is, of course, but it sounds
like it could have a standard name of ctd_fluorometer_voltage and units of V.
It seems clear to me to call a spade a spade, rather than to call a spade
a raw_garden_implement :-).

It's interesting how this discussion is different from the one about isccp and
calipso cloud area fraction. In that discussion, I thought that the standard
name should be cloud_area_fraction. ISCCP and Calipso are further information
about how the quantity is measured, but the quantity itself is a geophysical
one, defined independently of the measurement technique. Here, the quantity
being named relates specifically to a means of measurement, not to the final
product.

What are example of non-udunits? V is a udunit, all right. Perhaps a non-udunit
is just a count of something? Does that need units? It could simply be
regarded as dimensionless.