⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] standard names for variables in?'raw?engineering' units

From: Roy Lowry <rkl>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 21:48:12 +0000

Hi Karl,

I understand what you are saying. The problem is that as CF expands into the observational domain the need arises to be able to handle data files at any stage of the processing cycle. Another problem is that 'raw' channels often persist - for example if physicists deploy a CTD package with a fluorometer on it we quite often get the raw fluorometer voltages in the fully processed data. Biologists ask us to retain the raw fluorometer data because they still have value.

Combine this with the decision made in the observational community to make the standard name field both mandatory and the primary identifier for a variable and we are faced with the situation where either standard names need to evolve into something very different from their original concept or we place restrictions on the applications for which CF is appropriate. My vote goes with the former.

Cheers, Roy.

>>> Karl Taylor <taylor13 at llnl.gov> 03/12/09 5:17 PM >>>
Dear all,

Perhaps I'm not following what's being proposed here, but I'm against
expanding the nature of the standard name from a definition of a
physical quantity, to something that includes an indication of its
potential uses (which admittedly would help in "discovery" searches). I
think we're asking too much of the standard name. I would be much more
comfortable with a proposal to develop a set of quasi-independent
components that more fully describe the data, but don't force the
information into the standard_name. One of the components would be the
"potential use" of the quantity (or a list of uses). The other
componnents would include perhaps the list I proposed in an email to
this list on 10/29/08 (i.e., quantity, medium, constituent,
specie_color, surface, process, etc.)

regards,
Karl