⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] standard names for variables in 'raw engineering' units

From: Nan Galbraith <ngalbraith>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 13:13:11 -0400

> What does "the raw data are a proxy" mean, please? (Proxy for what?)
I'd guess that it means that raw_temperature (in counts) is representing
- standing in for, and indicating the possibility of obtaining -
temperature
(in degrees).

> This makes me realize that the most abstract version of this use case
> is data in any units that can not be transformed to the canonical
> units, for example:
> - partially transformed units that aren't raw but aren't in science form
> - data not in UD_Units -- alternate formats for certain complex data
> values
> - data not in UD_Units -- new or atypical measurements not in
> UD_Units, like 'counts'

At some point, it becomes meaningless to use a standard, if you
are storing and presenting data in a form that can't be used without
further processing and without a lot more information.

It's always allowable to include non-standard parameters in a CF file,
as long
as they don't have standard names. This seems like the most efficient
way to
deal with these 'proxy' parameters.

I still agree that CF should be expanded to deal with non-geophysical
parameters
that are useful to the observational community, like signal-to-noise
ratio or error
velocity, and that agreeing on a convention for naming proxies would be
useful.

Use cases showing a need to store 'partially transformed' data or 'complex
data in alternate formats' using standard names and requiring new kinds of
units would be helpful.

- Nan
> I think we should consider some particular use-cases and try to be as much like
> standard names for geophysical parameters as we can in our treatment of these
> unprocessedd quantities. I would suggest not deciding in advance that we have
> to treat them in different ways, because it's best to minimise the complexity
> of the convention. It's often tempting to regard something as a new case and
> invent new conventions for it, but it may be easier in the end to find a way to
> express it using structures we already have.
>
> Best wishes

* Nan Galbraith                        (508) 289-2444 *
* Upper Ocean Processes Group            Mail Stop 29 *
* Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution                *
* Woods Hole, MA 02543                                *