⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] standard names for variables in?'raw?engineering' units

From: Karl Taylor <taylor13>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 10:17:36 -0700

Dear all,

Perhaps I'm not following what's being proposed here, but I'm against
expanding the nature of the standard name from a definition of a
physical quantity, to something that includes an indication of its
potential uses (which admittedly would help in "discovery" searches). I
think we're asking too much of the standard name. I would be much more
comfortable with a proposal to develop a set of quasi-independent
components that more fully describe the data, but don't force the
information into the standard_name. One of the components would be the
"potential use" of the quantity (or a list of uses). The other
componnents would include perhaps the list I proposed in an email to
this list on 10/29/08 (i.e., quantity, medium, constituent,
specie_color, surface, process, etc.)

regards,
Karl