⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new names for AeroCom

From: Christiane Textor <christiane.textor>
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2008 08:11:27 +0100

Denar Jonathan,

Many thanks for your comments.

> cell_height:
You are right, I mean the vertical extent in [m]. I realize, that the
work 'thickness' is generally used in CF to express the vertical extent.
So I guess I should suggest now cell_thickness to be consistent with
existing CF names. However, we use 'height' for the grid box and I would
expect a name like grid-box-height and would not necessarily assume that
cell_thickness could be what I am looking for. cell_thickness sounds a
bit like micro-biology to me.

> potential_temperature_difference_between_700hPa_and_1000hPa:
You are suggesting a new pattern 'difference_in_X_wrt_Y', so
difference_in_air_potential_temperature_wrt_air_pressure
(the two pressures have to be given as coordinate variable?)
Although you have used the pattern change_in in other names I would
suggest to use the proposition 'in' only for the description of the
location. Therefore I would say change_of and difference_of, like
tendency_of. (I am not a native speaker, is there a language subtlety
involved that I am missing?). So the name would be
difference_of_air_potential_temperature_wrt_air_pressure

> due_to_net_production_and_emission_from_biomass_burning: Could that just be
> due_to_biomass_burning?
yes, good idea!

>> atmosphere_number_concentration_of_X_in_air: I think "atmosphere_" is not
> necessary; this is a "local" property.
I agree.

Best regards,
Christiane

Christiane Textor
Unite Mixte de Recherche CEA-CNRS-UVSQ
LSCE/IPSL, CEA Saclay, Orme des Merisiers,
Bat. 701, Piece 3b, Point Courrier 129
F-91191 Gif-sur-Yvette Cedex
FRANCE
mailto: christiane.textor at lsce.ipsl.fr
Tel ++33 1 69 08 34 07 Fax ++33 1 69 08 77 16
GEOmon scientific coordinator http://www.geomon.eu