⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] mixing ratio

From: Christiane Textor <christiane.textor>
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2008 08:11:12 +0100

Dear Alison,

Many thanks for this excellent idea.

You are suggesting mass_ratio_of_X_to_Y. To my knowledge we would rather
say mass_mixing_ratio. This would make the names longer, but the use of
mixing ratio is more common, I would say.

However, although I like your idea a lot, I am concerned by the very
significant changes it would imply. I fear that modelers who have just
started to implement CF and who now see that the standard names change
substantially with time, might begin to doubt their value as a standard.
Therefore I would rather suggest to stick to the existing names and
state in the explanations that there is an exception for water vapor,
a meteorological variable and not an atmospheric chemistry one.

Best regards,
Christiane
Christiane Textor
Unite Mixte de Recherche CEA-CNRS-UVSQ
LSCE/IPSL, CEA Saclay, Orme des Merisiers,
Bat. 701, Piece 3b, Point Courrier 129
F-91191 Gif-sur-Yvette Cedex
FRANCE
mailto: christiane.textor at lsce.ipsl.fr
Tel ++33 1 69 08 34 07 Fax ++33 1 69 08 77 16
GEOmon scientific coordinator http://www.geomon.eu