⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] a different (but perhaps unoriginal) approach to standard name construction

From: Benno Blumenthal <benno>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 10:15:02 -0500

On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 9:34 AM, Jonathan Gregory
<j.m.gregory at reading.ac.uk> wrote:
> Dear Bryan
>

> What we disagree on is where the effort is mostly spent. I know for sure that
> most of the large amount of time I have myself spent on them has been on
> understanding the concepts and how they relate to each other, in order to
> describe them clearly and consistently. It seems to me that the majority of
> the time is required on the new names which don't conform to existing syntax or
> vocabulary. Perhaps you do agree with that, though?

I think the issue is the above effort is not written down in a way
that the rest of us can utilize. Precise identifiers are find for
data providers to tag their data, but in order for those precise tags
to be useful for search/interface building they need to be related to
each other and their component concepts. This is precisely way I have
been pushing to establish URIs for the concepts in CF, including
standard names, so that machine-readable documents can be produced
that write down that structure.

Benno

Dr. M. Benno Blumenthal          benno at iri.columbia.edu
International Research Institute for climate and society
The Earth Institute at Columbia University
Lamont Campus, Palisades NY 10964-8000   (845) 680-4450