⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] a different (but perhaps unoriginal) approach to standard name construction

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 14:34:38 +0000

Dear Bryan

I am not arguing against moving away from the status quo. I am arguing against
(in most cases) moving away from a flat list, but you don't think that is the
crucial point either. I am in favour of writing down all the rules (more than
the guidelines show) in order to make it easier to add names which can be
constructed from what we already have. I would like software tools to make it
easier to do that.

I too don't as much about the name itself as about what it means and how we
organise the information it contains in a clear and consistent way. We agree
on that.

What we disagree on is where the effort is mostly spent. I know for sure that
most of the large amount of time I have myself spent on them has been on
understanding the concepts and how they relate to each other, in order to
describe them clearly and consistently. It seems to me that the majority of
the time is required on the new names which don't conform to existing syntax or
vocabulary. Perhaps you do agree with that, though?