⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Independent documentation of CF conventions?

From: Jon Blower <jdb>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 16:38:55 +0100

>Unfortunately, our
> community's size mostly hasn't risen to 'book level' yet. So any new person
> who's interested just gets sucked into the primary community.

I'm sure Wikipedia don't just want to serve communities that have
grown to this level - or do they?

> Unfortunately, *using* a standard is different than *caring* about it. Safe
> to say the population that cares about the USB standards is significantly
> smaller than the population that uses them. Both both are much larger for
> USB than for CF!

OK, but there's an important difference - users of USB don't have to
see any of the mechanics at all. Users of NetCDF files are much more
likely to want to understand the structure. Even if they don't, they
might be told that data that they want are provided in CF-compliant
files, and will want to look up what this means.

Another interested party is the GIS community who want to read
metocean data and want a summary of CF's aims.

I would have thought that the community of interest for CF would
easily justify a measly Wikipedia page, or is their worry that
Wikipedia provides no added value above the CF website?

Cheers, Jon

j.d.blower at reading.ac.uk
http://www.nerc-essc.ac.uk/People/Staff/Blower_J.htm