⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF standard names for chemical constituents and aerosols (resulting from a GRIB2 proposal)

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 18:12:14 +0100

Dear Martina

> Thank you and sorry, Jonathan and Veronika, I should read thoroughly.
Don't worry about that! There were very many emails and it would be hard to
be aware of all of them.

> > > surface_area_density_of_X : m-1
> >
> > How is this defined?
>
> This is the surface area of aerosol per volume of atmosphere (i.e.
> m2.m-3=m-1) .

Ah, I see. I agree, that is a logical name for it, but I found it confusing
because of the word "surface" at the start of it. It looks like a quantity
which applies at the surface. To avoid this misunderstanding, would you
consider density_of_surface_area_of_X, although that is more clumsy?